Monday, April 10, 2006

PARKes RAGE

Today I experienced the down side of staying at a caravan park. A little after nine this morning I went to the laundry to put on a load of washing, to discover that there was a load in and another appeared to be waiting. I duly stashed my basket and took my place in the queue as only one machine is working at the moment. At 11.50 am I finally got my washing in the machine. I swear there was a conspiracy against me! Every time I headed back to check how much longer to go, I was told that it still wasn’t my turn and to come back a little later. By the time “later” had spun out to more than 2 and a half hours, I was feeling a little tetchy and just to keep me on my toes the machine stopped mid cycle and I had to do a bit of jiggling to get things going again. In the midst of this I was told that park etiquette says that one must wait for ones place in the queue – not really feasible when you have young children. Having said all that feeling annoyed didn’t last long as I went and read some of my book in the sun and played with Rennie and Jarra and realised life is too short to worry about such stuff. The washing got done in the end and a few other jobs as well!! I think it will be a bit of time yet before I lose all my city expectations though. Like being able to go out for a coffee on a Sunday afternoon – just not possible in Parkes. Some things we really do take so much for granted… We have decided to stay an extra day here as T & R have hooked up with Nathan and Zac, two young guys who live here at the park. They have all played so well together over the past few days and have really enjoyed each other’s company, that it is worth staying another night. Tomorrow we will head out to see the “Dish”, which will hopefully be interesting. I wanted to mention the book I have just finished called “English Passengers” by Matthew Knealy, which was recommended by Matt and Soph at Kangaroobie. It is a fascinating historical novel set in the early 1800s, told through the eyes of a number of people connected to Tasmania -Van Diemens Land, as it was then known. The ignorance that was portrayed about the Aborigine population is especially highlighted and the arrogance of the English, but it also opens your eyes to the amazing abilities of the Aboriginal people and gives a clear account of the misunderstandings of the times. The night after I finished the book, which also is very humorous in parts too, I picked up the book “Going Bush - Adventures Across Indigenous Australia” and there looking back at me on pg. 205 was one of the main characters of the book Peevay. If you get the chance check it out. The young lad in the photo taken in 2004 stood out in just the same way that Peevay did all those years ago. I hope the young one has a happier life than Peevay and that he experiences little of the said ignorance and arrogance I mentioned, but sad to say I am not sure that he will, even 150 years on. Here’s hoping. Watched a little more of The Three Stooges tonight with the kids and it was lovely to all laugh together. The kids just love them. It has brought back happy memories of tuning in each week on a Saturday teatime to watch Laurel & Hardy with my family and laughing until we ached. I will endeavour to find a DVD of L&H. So much laughter MUST be good for the soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home