Wednesday, September 27, 2006

DON’T GET SICK IN MACKAY

Trying to get an appointment with a doctor in Mackay was like looking for rocking horse poo, extremely hard to find. I found a small lump in a delicate place and just wanted to get it checked out, so I started calling medical centres. After seven calls to no avail I thought I would leave it until the next town, but my mind kept conjuring up worst case scenarios and I couldn’t think of much else. Being a Friday all the doctors were full up or just not taking any new patients. The private hospital wanted a small fortune to see me so I just tried my luck at the local medical centre. It was 4,55pm and the sign on the door said they closed at 5pm. I walked into the reception and the two ladies behind the desk were tying up the loose ends, looking forward to the end of the week, and chatting to the guy who was leaning against the counter. They explained they were finished for the day to which I replied that I was pretty desperate to get this thing checked out. The fella leaning on the counter said, “Well I am just the janitor here, but I could take a look if you like!!” He took me through and checked me out and gave me the all clear, which was a great relief. He was quite a character really.

1 Comments:

At 5:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you got it checked out, Andre - I gathered it was your writing style and therefore your lump. Did the doc. say what it was? Interested in his word "janitor" - what's wrong with "caretaker"? Another Americanism creeping into our Ozlanguage! Love, Mum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home